Two Brown Girls

Two brown girls, two countries, and two kitchens in which to play!

Friday, November 18, 2005

Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana

I'm going to try to make up for being a bad, bad, bad brown food blogger by posting about several different restaurants over the next few days -- complete with requisite crappy camera phone pictures. Again, bad food blogger, what can I say? So yeah, I'm Keerthi, and I'm the New York half of Two Brown Girls, woooooo.

TAQUERIA Y FONDA LA MEXICANA

As a native Californian now living in New York City, one of the things I miss most about home is the easy access to plentiful, cheap, authentic Mexican food. In general, I've found that New York kind of sucks for that. That's why I was so happy to hear my ex-roommate, Lindsey, rave about this restaurant, and to finally get a chance to try it with my friend Lauren.

And now, after only a handful of visits, I'm offically obsessed with this place. Whenever my friends and I start walking downtown in search of food, we can barely make it five blocks before I burst out with an exuberant "Ooooh, TAQUERIA?!?!?" (It's always either that or "....OMG SAJI'S!!!!! LET'S GO TO SAJI'S!!!!" But discussing my undying, bordering-on-obscene love for Saji's is going to require a whole post of its own.)

Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana claims to serve authentic cuisine from Southewestern Mexico, and while I don't know enough about that region to tell how accurate that claim is, I do know enough about food to tell you that what they serve here is great. On our first visit there, Lauren and I shared the Chicken Pipian ("Pumpkin-seed sauce with a touch of cilantro & herbs... served with rice, beans, salad & freshly made tortillas") and the Chicken Torta ("Made on a roll of Bolillo bread, and prepared Mexican-style with refried beans, tomatoes, fresh avocado, onions, jalapenos, lettuce, cheese & the ingredient of your choice"). Both were absolutely great. I was a bit surprised by the pumpkin-seed sauce on the Chicken Pipian; I'd expected it to taste like pumpkin, even though I know that doesn't make any sense... but instead, it tasted like a really flavorful, but normal, green sauce. The chicken in that dish was surprisingly tender and juicy, and Lauren and I scraped our plates clean.

I enjoyed the Chicken Torta so much that I've ordered it like, three times since then, and it's never disappointed me. The bread is soft and the chicken flavorful, and the assortment of condiments and other toppings make for a much more interesting sandwich than any boring PBJ you might oridinarily throw together at home. Wait, that's a lie, I'm actually kind of obsessed with creating glorious, unusual sandwiches at home... but that, too, is a whole other post.

The restaurant is small and always crowded with university students on the lookout for a filling, tasty meal on the cheap, so be prepared to wait outside for a bit. Once you get inside, though, the delicious food is always, always worth the wait.


My half of our delicious chicken torta sandwich (click for full-size).


Another view.

Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana (Menupages link)
968 Amsterdam Ave. (Between 107th and 108th St.)
New York, NY 10025
(212) 531-0383

1 Comments:

Blogger P said...

Proving that we are IN FACT intriniscally connected my fave lunch in high school was half a leftover chicken torta....mmmm.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home